Saturday, March 16, 2013

Legal Authority


Intellectual property laws, along with court decisions and regulations, establish rules for the following activities: selling or licensing of intellectual property, resolving disputes between companies making or selling similar intellectual property products and services, and the registration and administration of intellectual property.”(Patent, Copyright, and Trademark. Page 5)

For part 1 of our final project, we were asked how I made contact with the person that I chose, how I found them, and why I feel that they were a good choice for my project.

The lawyer I decided to interview is Keith Hawkins. He is part of the Associate General Counsel at United Health Care of Nevada, and oversees the entire legal department at the company.

I was able to get referenced to him, because he works closely with my mother at the company, I talked to her about the project and we both felt that he would be more then able to help me with some of the questions that I had to present.

Since UHCN is primarily a insurance company, Keith deals with a lot of Intellectual property issues concerning the copyrighting and protection of the companies important insurance documents that are constantly changing and requiring update.

At first, I was skeptical about asking some of the questions that I had written down. Because, he deals mainly with insurance copyright and protection, and a lot of the questions that I would be asking were going to be dealing with that of audio production. However, after talking with Keith for a few minutes, I felt comfortable that he would be able to answer most of what I had, and to my expectations, he did not disappoint.

Intellectual property laws consist of several separate and overlapping legal disciplines, each with its own characteristics and terminology.”(Patent, Copyright, and Trademark. Page 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment